Week 3: Technology Leadership
“Welcome to Week 3 … Technology Leadership … Using mobile technology to support a value chain … App design for users … What is the value of big data? … The digital enterprise wave“
- Welcome to Week 3
- Technology Leadership
- Week 3: The digital enterprise wave
- Using mobile technology to support a value chain
- App design for users
- What is the value of big data?
- The digital enterprise wave
Welcome to Week 3
- In particular, we will introduce three technologies.
- We will introduce the concept of technology leadership, because technology is always changing.
- What is eternally important is the technology leadership capabilities.
- We will also introduce you with some case studies in demonstrating how to make more value in the value chain in your business by using the ICT technologies, and trying to think about how to make more value in your business by using the big data, cloud computing, and also mobile applications.
- I want to tell you a little about digital technology leadership.
- To many young people, technology has always been present in the swiping of a screen or the voice from an electronic toy.
- Web technology dominates our lives by enabling transfer of information, ideas and decisions at light speed.
- Although technology started with man’s first attempts at controlling and surviving in the world, it took an information automation revolution that was driven by electronics and the integrated circuit to arrive at the internet age.
- Today, we are poised on the cusp of an even greater revolution with the introduction of disruptive electronic technologies.
- Since the age of the Greeks and ancient civilisations, we needed the leadership of visionaries.
- The exciting but difficult visionary path that marries an understanding and insight about new technology to the dreams of man.
- This module will explore how business leaders can harness technology to make a new future for their businesses.
- We start with what principles link technology to business strategy and leadership.
- These are executed by a combination of people and technology.
- Technology capability has advanced through devices, tools, and machines, and the knowledge to use them to aid our work.
- The addition of digital information and control systems and of cheap, fast electronic computing power has made the information more pervasive and instantly available.
- Digital disruptive technologies take advantage of these digital principles to create new value and new markets and act as enablers to increase efficiency and reduce costs of work processes whilst delivering the business strategy.
- Examples of these neighbours of work include social media, the ability to record and synthesise human views and feelings via digital technology, mobile technology, platforms and applications to enable computing any time anywhere.
- How has technology changed business? This is best illustrated by Tidd and Bessant’s 4 P’s of innovation space model.
- Mobile technology can be used to monitor home security now from anywhere in the world.
- 3D printing is itself both a new product and a new service to create a new device or new structure.
- The process and technology used will ultimately depend on the human.
- Ultimately, it’s the human as leader that determines the success of technology.
- We will examine four key types of technology leadership- enterprise technology leadership, the visionary leadership of a chief executive officer in terms of enterprise.
- Technology implementation leadership, the leadership of a chief information officer delivering the right capability at the right point in the operating model.
- Technology innovation leadership, the leadership of the chief technology officer in developing innovative technology, delivering the right capability and products and services.
- Finally, technology thought leadership, technology solutions through thought leadership to deliver the right problem-solving and solution capability.
- In summary, in this course we will go on a journey of exploration of how tomorrow’s leaders can identify and lead tomorrow’s disruptive and innovative digital technology to produce the right future for the right business of tomorrow.
Week 3: The digital enterprise wave
Using mobile technology to support a value chain
- There are a lot of mobile applications in the market, and a lot of systems for the health care.
- The current problem is that all the system- a lot of systems and the mobile applications, they only support a single activities in the patient journey.
- So we have established a health informatic research centre to develop an integrated mobile health care application.
- 1:30Skip to 1 minute and 30 seconds In order to answer these questions, we have developed an integrated mobile health care application which aim to go through the whole processes of patient and doctors, and also the senior management in the hospital- prehospital, and activities in the hospital, and the activities post the hospital.
- So the mobile devices on the other hand, for the doctors and patients and senior management, they will get real time information and tell them.
- 2:20Skip to 2 minutes and 20 seconds So for example, if you are a patient, if you have got to download the mobile application here, before you get into the hospital, you can check the hospital basic information, what type of services.
- When you get in the hospital, you can also use the mobile app to check you test result and the imaging result, a lot of examination results.
- You can do the online payment, so you can check the waiting list on your mobile phone, getting out of the hospital when they are discharged.
- So you can get medication reminders through your mobile phone.
- If you are a doctor and all the information will be integrating in your mobile phone as well, all the information of the patient like test results and the patient record, and everything has been integrated and can be visualised into your mobile phone.
- 3:43Skip to 3 minutes and 43 seconds In the end, we have implemented the mobile health care application in about 40 hospitals in China.
- All in all, so the experience learned is that the value creating is most important for the mobile application development.
App design for users
What is the value of big data?
The digital enterprise wave