Instalment 1: Overview
“Why Social Physics… A Sustainable Digital Ecology… How Social Physics Works…”
- Intro Video
- Why Social Physics
- A Sustainable Digital Ecology
- How Social Physics Works
- Social physics: quantitative science describing human behavior.
- Begin by understanding core models for human behavior and how they can be seen in data, especially as more and more data about people are available.
- Compare with social science, which has insights into human character, but it is usually neither quantitative nor predictive; big data means we can build predictive, quantitative models of human behavior.
- Can determine the amount of social learning i.e. rate of idea flow, and that is important because learning from each other makes us smarter.
- We now have the math to understand all this.
Chop Chop MOOCs’ summary of Big Data and Social Physics
A Sustainable Digital Ecology
- The inspiration comes from things that don’t work very well e.g. schools, organizations.
- Your digital self should have the same rights as the physical self e.g. you get to control your data, who gets access.
- We should make the social networks mirror the way humans like to operate and how people operate best – it is not through competition but through trusted networks.
- How can we make a digital society that works for humans i.e. fair, safe, inclusive etc.