Episode 1: Solve YOUR Problem
“solve your problem”
- Solve YOUR Problem > Solve YOUR Problem (Episode 1) > Solve YOUR Problem
Solve YOUR Problem > Solve YOUR Problem (Episode 1) > Solve YOUR Problem
- Innovation often starts with real people solving their own problems, innovating for their own use.
- How do you become a user innovator? How do you get your idea out into the world?
- User innovation is when you create something to use it.
- Any time anybody runs into a big problem, and there’s no commercial solution, you’re going to get user innovation.
- Almost any innovation you could think of is user developed.
- From things like wheels on suitcases to the heart lung machine to the world wide web.
- The reason that companies don’t get involved more in innovation is because they only want well-established big markets.
- User innovation is a great way to start companies.
- Research has shown that 50% of the innovative companies founded are founded by user innovators.
- When you think as a user innovator that you’re just making something for yourself, you really misunderstand.
- Well now, I want to continue my journey and look at user innovation through the eyes of an innovator.
- Emily Lagasse on Fedwell:
- Fedwell is a pet food based on home-cooked recipes made with real meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- When I started talking to pet stores, I realized that they had a lot of customers who were also looking for better products.
- That’s when I realized that there was just a really big opportunity to bring a home-cooked recipe to the market.
- In order to bring that to them, I really had to partner with a manufacturer and form my own company to do it on a larger scale.
- Who better to start a company than someone who lived through those challenges firsthand and really understands what the problems are? I was able to work through a solution, and I really am my own customer.
- User innovation is huge.
- Others may have these needs as well, and because users understand these needs better than producers, they are in a great position to start innovative companies.